Friday, November 9, 2012

Hodge Hall: Week 26 -- The view from my desk

The steel framework for the Hodge Hall expansion reaches the corner, six months into construction.

Every time I looked out my window this week, I've been struck by how large that crane is. It's been here for a few weeks, but now that it has come into view as the framework for the Hodge Hall expansion reaches the corner, I'm impressed on a daily basis.

The wheels on it are taller than a person. When the telescoping boom is extended to its full length, it towers over everything. That it gingerly plucks a steel beam from the ground and dangles it over the site as a worker guides it into place is somewhat amazing to watch.

That's not the only thing that's impressive.

I drove home down 10th Street last night to check the progress on that side, and was in awe of the frame structure. Even though it's still a skeleton, you get the sense of how imposing and noble the undergraduate center will be when completed.

It's definitely going to make a statement, one that a Top 20 business school certainly deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment