Friday, October 5, 2012

Hodge Hall: Week 21 -- The view from my desk

We're starting to see the outline of the Hodge Hall Undergraduate Center expansion.

Now that the work with the concrete footings for Hodge Hall has reached the Fee Lane side, we can begin to see the outline of the expansion of the undergraduate building.

Nathan Morrison, construction overseer for the Kelley School of Business, brought the design plans with him this week to help me visualize what is taking shape outside of my window.

The design plans help visualize the addition.
I should clarify that he brought Volume 1 of the design plans, which contained hundreds of pages and was more than an inch thick. The detail is amazing, if not overwhelming. Nathan and I marveled over how people used to do this by hand. Every wire, every light switch, every beam, and every inch of stone is accounted for.

In the main photo, the grouping of concrete walls on the left marks the north side of the expansion. Steps will lead to an entrance there from a small courtyard. The concrete footing just above the IU logo on the fence marks about how far the building will extend toward Fee Lane, minus the addition of the stone exterior.

We should begin to see a lot more activity on this side of the building in the next few weeks. Call me a construction geek, but I have to admit, I'm excited that the steel beams will be arriving soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment