Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflections on Kelley's Check Your Label event

(Pictured, from left to right, Check Your Label organizers, Emily Rizzo, Undergraduate Program Director Kathleen Robbins, Molly Barwick, myself, and Kyleigh Turk)

This is a guest post from Sara Woolbright, vice president of the Trockman Microfinance Initiative and a co-planner of the Check Your Label event.

In one of my past courses, my instructor began the semester by sharing this quote from Walter Chrysler: “The real secret of success is enthusiasm.” Never before have I seen this idea so embodied as during the Check Your Label symposium. Throughout the afternoon, it was unmistakable how each speaker had used her own passion to fuel her drive and determination that ultimately led to success. The success was most evidently manifested through the realization of each speaker’s personal goals and business growth. But the speakers had something else to show for their success. The speakers shared their stories of using their abilities to create business models that not only benefitted them, but also empowered others. They relayed their struggles honestly, not hiding their past mistakes or the less glamorous aspects of their work, but also freely shared stories of the results that have made their businesses and careers so rewarding and fulfilling.

I believe that for many students, this was an opportunity to see how simple ideas driven by enthusiasm and passion lead to small improvements capable of growing into larger results. For myself, the Check Your Label symposium was one of the most rewarding things I have been a part of since my time at Indiana University. Being able to work with faculty and students who are passionate about exposure to alternative career options is something that is very important for me. I am excited to be a student in a time where business can be as socially revolutionary as it is now. As a student, I want to thank the faculty for aiding myself and my peers in finding our passions and illuminating ways to incorporate them into all aspects of our lives and careers. Having faculty members who are dedicated to helping students in this aspect is one of the reasons I am happy I attend the Kelley School of Business.

No comments:

Post a Comment